Star Wars: The Force Awakens returns to “a galaxy far, far away” some 30 years after the action of 1983’s Return of the Jedi. You may have heard of it. You may have even seen it! The movie seems to have taken over the galaxy. STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS had a historic opening weekend and set a new record for the most money ever taken in US movie theaters in a single weekend. Star Wars fans came out in force all over the world to see the first Star Wars movie in a decade and the first one made without George Lucas. Multiple records broken for a movie opening and the film has yet to open in China, the second largest movie market. It will open in China on January 9. Even before the film opened it began breaking records with over a million dollars in advanced ticket sales.
After a brilliant and long-term marketing campaign, once again Disney has proven the unforgettable really does happen with them!
The Walt Disney Studios announced on Sunday that STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS has set a new all-time domestic debut record with an estimated $238M. With a five-day international debut of $279M, the film has taken in $517M globally.
“Our sole focus has been creating a film that delivers that one-of-a-kind Star Wars experience, and director J.J. Abrams, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy, and the Lucasfilm team have outdone themselves,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “To all of the fans around the world who not only came out in Force to make this such an exciting and astronomical debut but who treated this film as their own and helped preserve the experience for their fellow fans by not spoiling it – thank you, we do.”
En route to this galactic launch, the film has smashed several all-time domestic box office records, including:
- Biggest Thursday preview gross with $57M.
- Biggest Friday and biggest single-day gross with $120.5M.
- First film ever to post a single day over $100M.
- Fastest film to $100M and $200M.
- Biggest December debut (nearly 3 times previous record of $84.6M).
- Biggest IMAX Thursday night preview ($5.7M), single-day ($14M, Friday), and weekend ($30.1M).
- Highest theater average for a wide release ($57,568).
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS debuted day-and-date internationally in nearly every market (except Greece and India, which open Dec. 24, and China, which opens Jan. 9) and set records in many. Highlights:
- Biggest opening weekend of all time in UK (4-day), Australia, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Poland (3-day), Denmark (5-day), Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, Ukraine, Iceland, Serbia, New Zealand. Second biggest opening weekend in France, Belgium, Israel, Chile.
- Biggest IMAX global debut of $48M.
The Force is strong with critics and audiences, whose enthusiastic reactions have powered a 95% Rotten Tomatoes score and an excellent A CinemaScore, with an A+ among women and younger audiences, for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.
Like STAR WARS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.
Follow STAR WARS on Twitter: https://twitter.com/
Follow STAR WARS on Instagram: http://instagram.com/
Follow STAR WARS on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/
Visit the official STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS website: http://www.starwars.com/the-
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is now playing in theatres everywhere