We all know I love Disney. It’s a fact – I always have and I always will. But, love Disney or not, there are just some things that make me slightly crazy! When Disney has to start issuing you a FastPass to buy a pair of running shoes – maybe it’s time they let you buy or order the shoes on-line instead of having to spend hours of your day waiting around the Expo. But then – you wouldn’t be there roaming around and buying tons of other things while you wait! Disney is, after all, in the business of making money.
We all know I am not a runner. I am, however, the mother of a runner and I attend all of the RunDisney pre-race Health and Fitness Expos with her. Back in September I published a post – runDisney Pre-Race Health and Fitness Expo – a Non-Runners View. In this post I talked about how disappointed I was in the Expo held during the Disneyland Half Marathon in August, 2013.
These Expos in my opinion have turned into nothing more than huge merchandising events – nothing more – nothing less. As I wrote in September:
- While waiting in line to check out, I watch a woman at the check-out counter have the Cast Member bring her ALL the runDisney Dooney and Bourke handbags from the rack. The woman proceeds to check ” placement” on each bag for the entire 30 minutes we are in line. The woman proceeds to buy 12 runDisney Dooney and Bourke handbags – now, don’t get me wrong – she could very well have been purchasing these for friends, for Christmas gifts, for any number of reasons – however, chances are all 12 of those handbags were on eBay that night – this woman was not a runner – this woman bought all the handbags and left none for a runner to purchase as a momento of their trip.
- I watched several people grab Dumbo Double Dare shirts off the rack by the handful – not one look at size – no Dumbo Double Dare shirts left on the rack for a runner to purchase as a memento of their accomplishment – the crowd of people feverishly buying these items in bulk (no doubt in my mind for re-sale) forced Disneyland to have to close the merchandise area for several hours to re-stock because the crowds would not let them through with new merchandise.
Now comes New Balance Running Shoes. Many runDisney participants would love to own a pair. Many runDisney participants have not yet been able to get a pair. Why? Well originally due to the fact that the popularity was not anticipated and New Balance was not prepared for the feverish way in which these running shoes would be sought after – but now…..as with many things Disney partners with …. the running shoes have become sought after in an almost cult-like fashion! Never one to sit back for too long to cash in on a good thing – Disney (and New Balance) has introduced several new designs to coincide with this weekends Walt Disney World Marathon. I have watched over the last few weeks people discussing “game plans” of how to get a pair of running shoes this coming weekend at the expo for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend.
Disney knows these running shoes are a “hot” item and Disney knows that people will come and wait in line for hours in order to purchase a pair – so…..it was announced this week that in order to purchase a pair of the new shoes – here is what you will have to do (taken directly from the runDisney blog):
HOW TO PURCHASE
To help manage wait times with the very busy Disney’s Health & Fitness Expo, you will be able to reserve a time to visit the New Balance booth. To make your reservation, just follow the steps below.
- Upon arrival at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, visit Champion® Stadium (footprints like the ones above will guide you!)
- Follow New Balance signs in Champion Stadium to the New Balance Staff
- Register a reservation time with the New Balance Staff
- After reserving, you will receive a text message/email confirming your reservation time
- When your reserved time is almost ready, you will receive a second text message/email directing you to a side entrance door of the Jostens Center
- At your confirmed time, you will receive a final test message/email to head to the New Balance booth for your new shoes
THING TO KNOW (BEFORE YOU GO)
Prices range from $72 to $125 depending on the model and design of the shoe, and all Guests attending the Expo may purchase up to four shoe liners, four adult shoes and two kid shoes. Unfortunately, when making your reservation time, you cannot reserve a specific model, design or size of shoe, and while shoes are available on a first-come, first-served basis, New Balance has taken steps to have enough shoes on hand to meet the demand.
Good luck to all the runners that are hoping to get a pair of these shoes – I hope this “FastPass” to buy running shoes works – only time will tell. I can’t wait to hear from some runners next week to see if they were finally able to get a pair! I’ll keep you all posted on the New Balance FastPass!