I recently read a great post on The Disney Blog entitled Disney’s Hollywood Studios Reimagining – What We Know So Far. As an Orlando local who spends lots of times getting great information out to Disney visitors, John always has a great perspective on rumors, information and all things Disney. I have come to trust what he shares.
You can read his full article – HERE, but here are some of the highlights directly from his post:
Almost completely certain:
- A name change. Actually, this is literally the only certain thing we know as a 6-year old tricked Disney CEO to confirm this at the last shareholder meeting.
- Toy Story Playland is coming and bringing with it 3-4 attractions that are friendly for families with kids ages 4-11. This is much needed.
- A Star Wars themed land. The number of attractions and mix of stores and restaurants is unknown. Also its location. It could be where Echo Lake is now, or behind Indy.
- A “Blue Sky” preview center will open in the space formerly occupied by the Art of Animation either late 2015 or early 2016. It will have meet-and-greet areas, models and plans for the new park.
Also likely certain
- A new parking structure and a vastly reworked entrance to the parking lot. The main entrance plaza will likely be expanded as well. It already get clogged every morning and especially during special events.
- In addition to improvements in the parking lot, there will be a lot of backstage work to support the new projects, this includes a lot of drainage work. All that Florida rain has to go somewhere and if you’re building a parking lot where it used to go, then you need to reroute the rain somewhere else.
- Fantasmic will be enhanced and some daytime shows will be added. (If they’re going to do daytime shows, they’ll need to add some roofing, so I don’t see this happening).
- Beauty and the Beast will close as Theater of the Stars is enclosed. Rumor is a Villains themed show will replace it.
- Radiator Springs (a ‘Florida rain-proof’ version) will be located at the back of the park to draw visitors into the park the way the Lights Motors Action show has never been able to. I don’t mind this. Every park has a Haunted Mansion, and yet they’re all different in some way. So too with Radiator Springs.
- I’ve heard the rumor that an Indiana Jones attraction is coming to DHS. Since Disney now owns that IP, I don’t discount that rumor. If they remove the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, I do expect to get a replacement of some sort. However, I expect EPIC to stick around.
- The Muppets. We keep hearing The Muppets 3D will be going, but I doubt that. Maybe a new movie, but the Muppets are a franchise that Disney is counting on.
- Marvel-land. This depends entirely on the Board of Directors willing to put down cash to buy the theme park rights back from Universal. It needs to happen, but won’t be cheap to do that and then build a Marvel land with the attractions it deserves.
- Monorail from EPCOT to DHS. If anything, expect Disney to expand the use of the friendship boats. Monorail is just too expensive.
It is anticipated that much of what is planned for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be announced next week at D23 in Anaheim. I’ll keep you posted on any news that pops up and announcements made!
What are your thoughts on what we might learn about Disney’s Hollywood Studios?