Disney’s Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort is one of the most popular breakfast items offered at Walt Disney World Resort. I have to admit I am most likely in the minority when it comes to saying I can take it or leave it. I surely won’t go out of my way to have it, but there are many that can’t imagine a trip to Walt Disney World without this breakfast treat. So for those of you that just have to have it – here’s a recipe that will allow you to make it for yourself at home.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
You can also use pre-made cinnamon sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup whole milk (2% works just as well)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Tonga Toast Ingredients:
1 quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
2 large bananas, peeled
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
1. Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
Tonga Toast Preparation:
1. Preheat oil in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter than 350 or it will burn.)
2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.