I love coffee, so you can imagine National Coffee Day, which is celebrated today, is a festive day in the my house. Every morning, I brew a fresh pot of coffee. Once that is gone, I switch over to my Keurig and enjoy many, many more cups throughout the day. Since I know I’m not alone in my love of all things coffee, I thought today was a good day to talk about all that dairy that goes into all that coffee! The older I get, the harder time I have with dairy. My husband and my son have always been lactose intolerant so they have been long-time users of LACTAID® tablets. I’m not a fancy coffee drinker, an iced coffee drinker, a latte or or any other coffee concoction drinker – I’m just a plain old regular (with cream and sugar) all day coffee drinker – from morning til night!
Lactose intolerance is characterized by the symptoms that occur when your body does not make enough of a digestive enzyme called lactase to digest a sugar called lactose, which is found mainly in milk and other dairy products. Normally, our body produces lactase, which breaks down lactose into two simple sugars, glucose and galactose. These two sugars can then be absorbed into the bloodstream. People whose bodies don’t make enough lactase can’t fully digest lactose, causing mild to uncomfortable side effects. The Dairy Digestion Test can help you determine if you have a dairy sensitivity that may be caused by lactose.
Avoiding dairy based products that cause you discomfort is one way to battle symptoms. Taking a LACTAID® tablet prior to consumption is another and the way both my husband and son dealt with the intolerance for years. But frankly I drink way too much coffee to worry about taking a tablet so I switched over to LACTAID® milk. LACTAID® milk comes in Fat Free, 1%, 2% and Whole Milk and can be used in whatever coffee is your favorite – as well as anywhere else you would normally use milk!
What is LACTAID® doing on National Coffee Day?
- Dairy Envy is at an all time high on National Coffee Day when those sensitive to dairy can’t take advantage of all the delicious creamy coffee creations without facing discomfort later.
- LACTAID® will help those sensitive to dairy combat Dairy Envy and celebrate National Coffee Day by giving them the opportunity to enjoy a complimentary creamy and delicious LACTAID® Latte made with Birch Coffee.
- For those in New York City: Stop by any Birch Coffee location in Manhattan on Tuesday, Sept. 29th from 7-10 AM and receive a free LACTAID® Latte.
- For those across the country: Coffee lovers and dairy sensitive sufferers should visit LACTAID® on Facebook and Twitter for the chance to win a LACTAID® National Coffee Day prize-pack, complete with LACTAID® Milk, an exclusive Birch Coffee roast and other premium coffee gear. Consumers can check out www.Lactaid.com to download coupons with up to $4 in savings.
Although I am just a plain old coffee drinker – I know many of you love your Latte’s so here’s a recipe for you to try:
BIRCH COFFEE PUMPKIN SPICED LATTE
SERVINGS: 1 (8 oz)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
For the Birch Coffee Pumpkin Spiced Latte:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Pumpkin spice simple syrup
- 1/3 cup brewed espresso, like Birch Coffee Emma’s Espresso
- 1 cup of LACTAID® Milk (whole or skim)
For the Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup
YIELDS: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground all-spice
To make the Pumpkin Spiced Simple Syrup:
- Bring about 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
- Pour boiling water over spices and sugar in a quart container.
- Whisk lightly until contents dissolve into water.
- Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
To make the Birch Coffee Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- Add Pumpkin spice simple syrup to mug.
- Brew espresso (like Birch Coffee Emma’s Espresso), using either Chemex, standard drip method or home espresso machine.
- Pour espresso shot over simple syrup in mug.
- Bring 1 cup of LACTAID® Milk to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour warmed LACTAID® Milk into mug and stir.
Or why not whip up a batch of cupcakes!
BIRCH COFFEE COLD BREW CUPCAKES
YIELDS: 24 CUPCAKES
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes (includes cooling time for cupcakes)
Cook Time: 23 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 43 minutes
For the Birch Coffee Cold Brew Cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups butter (softened)
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup LACTAID® Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup cold brew concentrate, like Birch Coffee Cold Brew concentrate
- 2 tsp finely ground coffee
For the Birch Coffee Cold Brew Frosting:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup LACTAID® Whole Milk
- 1/8 cup cold brew concentrate, like Birch Coffee Cold Brew concentrate
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
To make the Birch Coffee Cold Brew Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line muffin cups.
- Cream together butter and coconut sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture and LACTAID® Whole Milk alternatively to butter mixture.
- Stir in vanilla and Birch Coffee Cold Brew concentrate until just combined.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups and bake for 23 minutes. Let cool in pans for one (1) hour before frosting.
To make the Birch Coffee Cold Brew Frosting:
- Mix butter until creamy with an electric beater on medium speed.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes
Any way you decide to use the LACTAID products – one thing for sure – No More Dairy Envy!
What is the No More Dairy Envy Campaign?
- The LACTAID® Brand’s No More Dairy Envy campaign is all about helping consumers learn how they can experience the full joy of dairy without the consequences and provide opportunities for consumers to enjoy 100% real dairy without any discomfort.
About LACTAID® Milk
- LACTAID® Milk gives consumers the freedom to enjoy delicious milk offerings that are on trend right now, such as creamy lattes and cool-blended smoothies, or simply a favorite bowl of cereal without worrying about Dairy Envy because its products are made from 100% real milk just without the lactose, making it easier to digest.
- Since LACTAID® is 100% real dairy just without the lactose, those with dairy sensitivity are able to enjoy the great taste and nutritional benefits of real dairy without any unwanted discomfort.
I have received information and materials from McNeil Nutritionals, LLC the makers of LACTAID®. The opinions stated are my own. This is a sponsored post.