A bucket list item that I was finally able to cross off on a recent trip. The Keys to the Kingdom Tour at Walt Disney World® is a five hour, in-depth tour that takes you throughout the Magic Kingdom, both up-front as well as behind the scenes and underground! All I can say is – FASCINATING! If you have never done this tour, it is well worth taking time to do it. I can’t not offer any of my own photos since photography of any kind is strictly prohibited whether you are walking in the public areas of the Magic Kingdom or in the behind the scenes areas, and before beginning the tour you are cautioned about this several times. The cost to take the tour ranges from $74 to $79 per person (plus tax) but also includes lunch. On days that the tour runs, there will be three tours: 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. Reservations are highly recommended and can be made by calling (407) WDW-TOUR.
Each member of the touring group is issued a name tag and a headset before starting the tour. Believe me, the headset is VERY necessary. Our tour guide, Jessica, talked constantly throughout the 5 hour tour even on attractions, throughout the busy walkways of the Magic Kingdom and behind the scenes where there is lots of work going on. Without the headsets, there would be no way of hearing much of what she says.
Before starting out on our tour, we were able to choose what we would like for lunch from the menu for the Columbia Harbor House. Mid-way through the tour we were escorted to a private area on the second floor of the restaurant where the tables were set with our lunch. There was a place card at each dish to let everyone know where to find the lunch they had ordered. Inside the place card was our Key to the Kingdom!
I am sure each guide that is trained for this tour is wonderful, however, our guide Jessica was outstanding. Her sense of humor, knowledge, stamina and pleasant smile made this a wonderful experience.
Some important information to know before you take this tour:
- Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom Tour is an outdoor walking tour, so check the weather and dress appropriately.
- No cameras, video equipment or cellphones may be used throughout the duration of the tour. Photography is strictly prohibited. Behind the scenes as well as out and about in the Magic Kingdom.
- Locations and attractions visited on your tour are subject to change without notice.
- Guests must be 16 years of age or older and have a valid photo ID.
- Please check in at the Chamber of Commerce building adjacent to City Hall 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour. You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
- Same-day bookings are on a walk-up basis only, based on availability.
Some highlights of the tour will include:
- Ride at least 2 classic Magic Kingdom attractions while hearing about their hidden secrets. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.
- Access the famed underground “Utilidor” tunnels that allow people and supplies to travel beneath the park unseen. Totally different from the way I imagined them.
- Learn little-known trivia about each of the “lands” of the park.
- Visit the special backstage area where parade floats are stored and serviced.
- Enjoy your choice of lunch entrée at Columbia Harbour House, included with your tour.