If you’ve ever asked this question, then you must keep reading! (Even if you haven’t, you should still keep reading!) I grew up visiting the Walt Disney World® Resort with my parents and my older sister. There was never a doubt that Disney was for us…just look at all of those Princesses! So, when I became a mom to one boy, then two boys, and now three boys, I had to take a look at this magical place through new eyes (or Mickey Mouse ears!). What I have discovered is amazing! I would argue that the Walt Disney World® Resort has as much, if not more, to offer boys than it does girls. Here are my top 5…
1. Adventure! When you take that magical step inside of the Walt Disney World® Resort, you are immediately immersed in the adventurous stories of so many brave Disney characters. Whether you are defying gravity on Space Mountain or ready to “dig up diamonds by the score” as you twist and turn on the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, the thrills that await you at the Magic Kingdom® will leave you wanting more. At the Magic Kingdom®, you can also fight alongside Buzz Lightyear, the Space Ranger, as he battles the Evil Emperor Zurg. Join Br’er Rabbit in his musically entertaining and visually captivating adventure as he stays only steps ahead of Br’er Fox and Br’er Bear! At Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, the Rock’n’Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and Toy Story Midway Mania offer the chance to go wild, defeat the Dark Side, and play the best 4D virtual gaming system around! Disney’s Animal Kingdom® offers boys the chance to travel through the Forbidden Mountain pass on Expedition Everest, where it is rumored the Yeti lives. Go in search of the missing Iguanodon dinosaur before the meteor hits you on the Dinosaur attraction. At Epcot, Mission Space is a shuttle simulator that boasts extreme G-force. On Test Track you can help design and ride your own custom SIM vehicle at speeds of up to 65mph!! Clearly, each park offers its own special attractions that will not disappoint a boy’s heart of adventure.
2. Jedi Training! I mean…have YOU ever come face to face with Darth Vader?! Hands down, this is my boys’ favorite activity when we visit our pal, Mickey Mouse. There are select times at Disney’s Hollywood Studios where boys and girls between the ages of 4-12 can put on a Jedi robe and take up a light saber to train under a Jedi Master. The pinnacle of this training is when each Padawan has the opportunity to use The Force against the Dark Side and fight against the Lord Vader himself. At the conclusion of the training, a Jedi Knight certificate is given to each child. These are coveted training spots, so don’t forget to register at the ABC Sound Studio at the park’s rope drop! If you are true Star Wars lovers, Disney also offers Star Wars Weekends each year in May where there are galactic parades and special appearances by your favorite characters from every film!
3. Food! If your boys are anything like mine, the older they get, the more they eat! The Walt Disney World® Resort has some of the best buffets around. While it’s not true of every buffet, many of the buffets around this pixie-dusted place are also Character Dining Experiences. That’s like a dose of magic on top of spectacular culinary perfection! My family’s very favorite dining experience is the all-you-care-to-enjoy Character breakfast buffet at Tusker House Restaurant. This beautiful Harambe marketplace eatery showcases African and American fare that my husband and three boys cannot live without! The fact that you step out of this restaurant into the Harambe African preserve makes it most exciting! The Jungle Juice is my boys’ favorite offering while the Mealie Pap takes me “to infinity and beyond”! The characters are dressed and ready for their safaris but they make sure to spend time at each table offering hugs, pictures and autographs making this experience truly magical! A few other favorites include The Crystal Palace inside the Magic Kingdom, Chef Mickey’s located inside the Contemporary Resort and Hollywood and Vine which can be found inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
4. Resort Pools! Every Walt Disney World Resort has a very intricately designed pool or pool complex. My boys’ favorite is definitely Stormalong Bay found at the Beach Club Resort. While they are fascinated with the sand bottom pool, it’s the shipwreck slide that takes them “to infinity and beyond!”. From there you can catch magical views of the Fantasmic! fireworks display and splash the night away! Take an afternoon off from Park Hopping and visit your Resort Pool to see what adventures await you! There are also two spectacular Water Parks located at the Walt Disney World® Resort. One is called Typhoon Lagoon and the other is called Blizzard Beach. These park experiences require an extra ticket, but if it is more variety and adventure that you seek…these parks are for you!
5. The Pirates League! For a small cost to your wallet, your boys (and girls) can be completely transformed into pirate talking scallywags! This experience is located at the exit of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction and typically requires an advance reservation. Join Jack Sparrow and his band of scurvy swashbucklers as they sail the seas in search of treasure. Aargh!! Your pirate will receive a certificate with their pirate name and oath, a bandana, an eye patch, a temporary tattoo, a pirate coin necklace and a sword and sheath. They can also participate in a daily Adventureland Pirate Parade!!
I could go on and on because I have only scraped the surface of all of the magic that awaits you and your boys (and girls!) at the Walt Disney World Resort. The next time someone asks you if boys REALLY like Disney, you send them my way and I’ll do my best to “break the frozen heart”. 🙂 See ya real soon!