I received a copy of the Legacy Collection – The Little Mermaid as a member of the Entertainment New Media Network. No further compensation was received and all opinions are my own. This post may also contain affiliate links.
I love Disney music – actually, I love all things Disney so once again when the opportunity came up to review this CD I jumped up and down, hands waving, yelling “Me, Me, Me!” Luckily those in charge of sending them out heard me and before I knew it the CD arrived in my mailbox! I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this CD. I’m a huge fan of The Little Mermaid so was eager and excited to listen to some of my favorite songs. I know you will enjoy them as much as I did (you can listen to a sample below)!
Honoring the continuing legacy of the Disney music catalog, Walt Disney Records’ newly launched site, Disney Music Emporium (DME), is a destination for collectible Disney music products that also features monthly columns by guest writers, a News tab for fun Disney facts, plus videos that exclusively debut on DME including behind-the-scenes of beloved soundtracks, The Lost Chords and more. The newest collectible offering, Into the Woods bundle that includes the Deluxe Edition soundtrack featuring 20 songs and score with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, plus 10 character art prints from the highly anticipated film, in theaters December 25th.
Also available at DME is the new collectible series, Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection, a line that celebrates the anniversaries of Disney’s most cherished and classic films that have been enchanting audiences for generations.
The label honors one of the most beloved soundtracks of all time with the 25th anniversary release of Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection The Little Mermaid available now. The Little Mermaid collection features the songs and score from the film by Oscar®-winning composer Alan Menken and lyricist Howard Ashman on Disc One, twelve work tapes and song demos performed by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman on Disc Two, and a collectible 20-page booklet. Also included are liner notes by Alan Menken, John Musker (Co-writer, Director and Producer, “The Little Mermaid”), and Chris Montan (President of Walt Disney Music).
Menken said, “The greatest thing about what we do is create something that works in the moment, but also stands the test of time. For the last 25 years, a generation has grown up with ‘The Little Mermaid’ and it has so greatly influenced them. I hear all the time it’s the soundtrack of so many people’s lives, and that’s a thrilling thing.”
He continues, “The Legacy Collection reorganizes the material and allows the listener to be able to draw more out of it and enjoy it on another level. Technology has improved over the decades and going back to the masters results in better representations of the material on these CDs.”
Commenting on Disc Two’s song demos Menken adds, “I hope listeners experience some of our memories and I hope they take away, as I do, a lot of re-discoveries. The demos of some the song moments take the listener through the process on how they were developed, understanding what the authors wanted to communicate, and ultimately leading into what the song became.”
The CD cover and 20-page booklet feature newly created artwork inspired by “The Little Mermaid” from Lorelay Bove, a visual development artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios (“Tangled,” “Winnie the Pooh,” “Wreck-It Ralph”). The CD booklet also includes a sampling of visual development art from the film, with notes by Dave Bossert, Producer/Creative Director at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection: The Little Mermaid takes you on a musical voyage you will never forget. This beautiful book-bound two disc collectible set features the award winning music from the film, never before released demos and working tapes from Howard Ashman and Alan Menken and more. Exclusively illustrated by the talented Lorelay Bove, WDR The Legacy Collection is a musical masterpiece every fan will enjoy.
1. Fathoms Below Performed by Ship’s Chorus
2. Main Titles Score
3. Fanfare Score
4. Daughters of Triton Performed by Daughters of Triton
5. Intro Ariel Score
6. Intro Ursula Score
7. Triton Reprimands Score
8. Sebastian’s Dilemma Score
9. Part of Your World Performed by Jodi Benson
10. Fireworks Score
11. The Storm Score
12. Part of Your World (Reprise) / Ursula Plots Performed by Jodi Benson
13. Ariel in Love Score
14. Under the Sea Performed by Samuel E. Wright
15. Sebastian and Triton Score
16. Destroying the Grotto Score
17. Flotsam and Jetsam Score
18. Ursula’s Lair Score
19. Poor Unfortunate Souls Performed by Pat Carroll
20. She’s Got Legs Score
21. Sebastian Relents Score
22. On Land Score
23. Miss Manners Score
24. Les Poissons Performed by René Auberjonois
25. Crab On a Plate / Bedtime Score
26. Tour of the Kingdom Score
27. Kiss the Girl Performed by Samuel E. Wright
28. Ariel Left Behind Score
29. Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise) Performed by Pat Carroll
30. The Truth Score
31. Interrupting the Wedding / Ursula’s Defeat Score
32. Happy Ending Performed by the Disney Chorus
1. Fathoms Below Work Tape Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
2. Daughters of Triton Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
3. Part of Your World Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
4. Fireworks / The Gigue Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken
5. The Storm Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken
6. Under the Sea Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
7. Poor Unfortunate Souls Basic Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
8. Poor Unfortunate Souls Final Synth Mockup Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
9. Les Poissons Work Tape Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
10. Les Poissons Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
11. Kiss the Girl Synth Demo B Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
12. Happy Ending Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken
Would you like to have your own copy off The Legacy Collection – The Little Mermaid? Disney Music will be providing a copy to one lucky read. Enter below! Good Luck! The giveaway to open to U.S. Residents, 18 years of age and older and will end on January 9, 2015. The Adult Side of Disney is not responsible for shipment of prize. Prize will come directly from Disney Music.
The fifth release from The Legacy Collection will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Fantasia with a 4-disc set, which includes the Original Leopold Stokowski soundtrack, the digital re-recording by Irwin Kostal, bonus tracks and more on January 13, 2015. The Legacy Collection Fantasia is now available for pre-order at Amazon: http://smarturl.it/lcfama2
For more information on Disney Music Emporium, please visit, DisneyMusicEmporium.com become a fan at Facebook.com/disneymusicemporium or follow us at Twitter.com/DisneyMusicEmp.