Devil’s Kitchen Picnic Shelter is located off the beaten path at the south end of the Colorado Monument and just outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. The shelter was built in 1941 and designed by Harvey H. Cornell, Jerome C. Miller and Kenneth M. Saunders of the National Park Branch of Plans and Design in 1940. Construction was done by the craftsmen known as LEM’s (Local Experienced Men). They were reputable stone masons of the time with Italian descent. Much of the material for building Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter came from Rim Rock Drive construction, the road going over the Colorado Monument. It was put on the US National Register of Historic Places in 1994.