This weekend the news was rushing out of California from D23 with announcements about movies, attractions, new cruise line ships, a new resort and the so much new at the parks!
I am amazed by all that was announced and can’t wait for so much of what the new attractions will offer. The most exciting news to me is the transformation of Epcot. Second for me is the new Disney Genie! Add in a new Disney Cruise Line island and there will so many new things to experience, we won’t know where to go or what to do first!
Here’s everything that was announced:
At D23 Expo 2019, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Bob Chapek unveiled details on how Disney is bringing the next generation of immersive storytelling to life.
Chapek welcomed thousands of fans as he shared more about the ambitious plans in store for one of the most extraordinary periods of expansion in Disney history.
From Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser and the timeless transformation of Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort, to the Avengers Campus coming to both Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris, to the Disney Wish arriving on the high seas in January 2022, there are more ways than ever for guests to be front and center in their favorite stories.
“It was Walt’s vision for our theme parks to be places where Disney stories come to life in amazing ways, and with the world’s most creative and talented team of artists and dreamers, there’s no shortage of inspiration,” Chapek said.
The audience was amazed as Disney Legend Dick Van Dyke joined Chapek onstage for a sweeping performance of “Step in Time” to announce the first Mary Poppins attraction at a Disney park, coming to Epcot. Live music continued to swell in the auditorium as award-winning composer Pinar Toprak performed her new anthem for Epcot on piano. Noted singer Jordan Fisher also surprised guests with a sneak peek of the musical score for Disneyland’s new parade.
The morning was full of exciting announcements on plans for Disney parks, resorts, cruise ships and beyond:
Super Heroes Assembling Around the World
Avengers Campus Coming to California and Paris
Guests can suit up alongside their favorite Super Heroes at the Avengers Campus, beginning in 2020 at Disney California Adventure park and later at Disneyland Paris. Both campuses will feature the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man.
The attraction will give guests a taste of what it’s like to have actual super powers as they sling webs to help Spider-Man collect Spider-Bots that have run amok.
As Super Heroes continue to assemble at both campuses, one of the iconic buildings in California will be the Avengers Headquarters.
The building will become the future entrance to a brand-new E-Ticket attraction where guests will fly alongside the Avengers in an epic adventure to Wakanda and beyond when it opens in the next phase of development.
Avengers Campus will feature Pym Test Kitchen where Pym Technologies is using the latest innovations to grow and shrink food.
Guests will also find heroic encounters throughout the campus, including Ant-Man and The Wasp, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Super Heroes from Wakanda and Asgard, and Iron Man. Guests may even catch a glimpse of the Avengers along the rooftops of the Avengers Headquarters.
At Disneyland Paris, guests can extend their adventures at Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel, opening next summer. The hotel will celebrate 80 years of Marvel art and artists, with more than 300 stunning pieces on display. Rooms will include one-of-a-kind themed suites featuring favorite Super Heroes like Spider-Man, and guests can even meet these legends in a dedicated space.
A Star Wars Voyage Unlike Any Other
Guests are eagerly awaiting the immersive Star Wars vacation experience coming to Walt Disney World Resort. Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser will be a glamorous ship – the Halcyon – where every window features stellar views into space.
Guests will embark together on a two-night adventure that includes special activities, incredible dining, and a “spaceport” day on Batuu at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, inviting guests even deeper into their own Star Wars stories.
Disney Cruise Line Magic On and Off the Ships
With three new ships coming to the Disney Cruise Line fleet, there’s so much to look forward to on the high seas.
Today, Chapek announced the first of the three ships – the Disney Wish – will be delivered in late 2021 and will set sail in January 2022. Reflecting the theme of the vessel, Rapunzel will grace the stern, representing her character’s wish to see the world. D23 Expo attendees also got a first look at the ship’s three-story atrium, inspired by the beauty of an enchanted fairytale.
Guests can also look forward to a signature island experience that celebrates nature and the spirit and culture of The Bahamas at a new Disney port of call located on the breathtaking island of Eleuthera at a place called Lighthouse Point.
Timeless Transformation of Epcot
Chapek shared more of the ways Epcot will stay true to its original vision while bringing timeless Disney storytelling to life with the magic of possibility.
The park will be unified with four neighborhoods that each celebrate a unique aspect of what makes Epcot so special:
- World Showcase will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane, which will join the United Kingdom pavilion as an entirely new neighborhood.
- Following the limited-time run of Epcot Forever, the new nighttime spectacular HarmonioUS will be the largest ever created for a Disney park, celebrating how the music of Disney inspires people the world over.
- In summer 2020, the France pavilion will offer even more for guests to discover, including the much-anticipated attraction Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, as well as a delicious new restaurant called La Crêperie de Paris.
- Also in the France pavilion, the classic Impressions de France film will be joined by an all-new “Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along” in January 2020.
- “Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” will debut in January 2020 in the Canada pavilion with new scenes and a new story.
- In the China pavilion, “Wondrous China” will take guests on a spectacular journey across China, filmed and presented in a completely seamless 360-degree digital format.
- The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms with new scenes reflecting the universal nature of the human experience. A new guide and all-new narration will focus on the storytelling that brings people together.
- A new pavilion will be the home base for Epcot’s signature festivals. It will provide a stunning view of World Showcase and an ideal spot to witness the park’s nighttime spectacular. This beautiful, three-level structure will have one of the most remarkable designs at any Disney park and will fast become a new icon for Epcot.
- World Celebration will also feature breathtaking views at Dreamers Point, lush gardens, a wishing tree, an interactive new fountain and a statue celebrating the legacy of the original dreamer, Walt Disney.
- Journey of Water, Inspired by “Moana” will be a lush exploration trail where guests can meet and play with magical, living water.
- The Land pavilion’s new film “Awesome Planet,” which showcases the spectacular beauty, diversity, and dynamic story of the planet, will begin welcoming guests in January 2020.
- Guests will ride on a daring adventure featuring the first reverse launch into space on Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. This thrilling, family-friendly attraction will feature a never-before-seen storytelling coaster that rotates to focus on the action, wherever it may be.
- An expansion of the Mission: SPACE pavilion, the new restaurant Space 220 will open this winter as an out-of-this-world culinary experience with the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up.
- PLAY! pavilion will open in time for the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. In this interactive metropolis, guests will discover a city bursting with games, activities, and experiences that connect them with friends, family, and beloved Disney characters like never before.
50 Years of Walt Disney World Resort
First Cirque du Soleil Show Celebrating Walt Disney Animation Studios