Since my daughter suffers from multiple food allergies, I am always on the look-out for an easy recipe that will let her enjoy dessert along with the rest of us. This recipe sponsored by Mylan and found on www.Family.Disney.com is the perfect choice for the allergy sufferer in your house. To be honest, even those without any allergies will love it too!
PLEASE READ: This recipe does not include ingredients that contain milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy. When grocery shopping, it’s important to read food labels to ensure that the specific brands you are purchasing do not contain any of your allergic triggers or traces of them. Please check with your allergist to make sure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients in this recipe before incorporating them into your diet. People with food allergies are often allergic to more than one food. All registered trademarks and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
PREP TIME: 20 mins – COOK TIME: 25 mins – TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
- 1 cup gluten-free, nut-free all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for dusting the pan
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, plus a little extra for greasing the skillet
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Use a bit of coconut oil to grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet, then dust the skillet with flour.
- Combine the cup of flour, and the baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a small mixing bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together until evenly mixed.
- Measure the 1/3 cup of coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave just until liquid. Stir the maple syrup and the applesauce into the melted oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture, and stir just until evenly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared skillet and spread it evenly. Bake the cookie until the top turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Slice and serve the skillet cookie while warm or cooled. Makes about thirty 1-inch squares.