Whether you’ve been a Star Wars fan since the beginning (1977) like me, or newer to the whole sensational series of films, as a Star Wars fan you know that 2015 ended with Star Wars: The Force Awakens breaking box office records. Even if you aren’t a huge fan you would definitely have to be living in a galaxy far far away to have missed the news!
Real fans have already seen this latest Star Wars film multiple times and many have seen it dressed as their favorite Star Wars character. While reading some of my favorite sites today I found some really cute Star Wars inspired outfits on Charlene Chronicles. Kudos Charlene for putting together these great choices. If you aren’t one for costuming but really want to get in the Star Wars mood, why not give one of these outfits a try!
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS became the highest grossing film of all time in the domestic market, surpassing the $760.5M lifetime gross of Avatar in a record-shattering 20 days of release. In addition, the film crossed the $800M mark at the international box office today.
Through Jan. 5, the film had grossed $758.2M domestically and $799.1M for a global total of $1,557.3M since its Dec. 16 global debut.
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS debuted in the US and Canada on Dec. 18, its first two weeks pushing the domestic annual industry box office to an all-time high of $11B. It has set numerous individual records including:
- Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
- Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall movie-going weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
- Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
- Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
- Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
- Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
- Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
- Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
- Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
- Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
- Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)
Globally, the film posted the highest global opening weekend of all time ($528.967M) and surpassed $1B in a record 12 days. It also had the biggest global IMAX debut ($48M) and surpassed $152M in IMAX in a record 19 days. It was the highest international debut in December history with $281M, and it remains #1 in many territories after posting the biggest opening weekend in at least 18 major markets.
Named one of AFI’s top 10 films of 2015, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS now heads into its fourth weekend of global release ahead of a debut in its final international market, China, on Jan. 9.
Like STAR WARS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.
Follow STAR WARS on Twitter: https://twitter.com/
Follow STAR WARS on Instagram: http://instagram.com/
Follow STAR WARS on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/
Visit the official STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS website: http://www.starwars.com/the-
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is now playing in theatres everywhere!