My brother A.J. introduced Crested Butte, Colorado to us, a little over ten years ago and my family has enjoyed skiing there almost every year since. 231 miles Southwest of Denver and 107 miles from Aspen, it’s tucked perfectly within Gunnison County, Colorado. Known as “The Last Great Ski Town in Colorado” and “The Wildflower Capital of Colorado” makes it a perfect destination year round. 1500 locals call Crested Butte home and its rated #1 ski town in North America. Haven’t heard of it, GOOD, its Colorado’s best kept secret, till now.
“Crusty Butt” as my family likes to call it; is a quaint, no-worries kind of town, small but mighty with boastful amenities. Downtown Crested Butte has the perfect cowboy-worn atmosphere, with buildings dating back to the 1800’s. No large chains either, only unique Shoppe’s and Eateries abound, except Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, but of course.
A few of our must-visit Shops:
- Pfisters Handworks 302 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-6731.
- The Mountain Store 201 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-9113.
- Paragon Gallery 132 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-6484.
- Butte & Co. Crested Butte Mountain Resort Base Area 970-349-7581.
- Big Al’s Bicycle Heaven 207 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-0515.
And our must visit Restaurants:
- Slogar Bar & Restaurant 517 2nd Street, Crested Butte 970-349-5765.
- Wooden Nickel – Bar and Steakhouse 222 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-6350.
- Butte 66 Roadhouse & Grille Crested Butte Mountain Resort Base Area 970-349-2999.
- Avalanche Bar & Grill Crested Butte Mountain Resort Base Area 970-349-7195.
- McGill’s 228 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-6245.
- Donitas Cantin 330 Elk Avenue, Crested Butte 970-349-6674.
Downtown Crested Butte is just a hop, skip and a jump onboard the free mountain shuttle to Mount Crested Butte where we spend our nights when visiting. We’ve enjoyed: Elevation Hotel & Spa (previously, Club Med), The Grand Lodge and The Lodge at Mountaineer Square to name a few. We love the proximity to the base of Mount Crested Butte (ski-in/ski-out).
Mt. Crested Butte has a Base elevation of 9,375 and Summit elevation of 12,162. The ski resort boasts 1,547 skiable acres and a total of 15 lifts, including 3 magic carpets. 121 trails to enjoy with all skier levels accounted for, with a lift capacity of 20,310 people per hour.
We love to take pictures with the ice sculptures and bask in front of the bombastic fire pit outside Mountaineer Square, before heading in for the night.