At-Home Teeth Whitening: Does It Work? The Smile Brilliant Teeth Whitening System
I was provided with a Smile Brilliant teeth whitening system for the purposes of this review. All opinions are my own.
I was skeptical at first but thought I would give it a try. Over the years I have spent lots of money on teeth whitening since I drink massive amounts of coffee with some wine thrown in and from years of smoking. Nothing really seemed to work as good as it advertised. I can’t begin to tell you the amount of money I have spent on those whitening strips (which really don’t work very well).
Does the system work – YES – absolutely. Are there cons to the system, yes. But none of the cons would stop me from using the system. They are minimal inconveniences more than cons.
Enter to win your own Smile Brilliant package at the end of the post!
After ordering, the SMILE BRILLIANT package arrives in a sturdy box and contains everything you will need from start to finish. Included in the kit are:
- 2 impression trays
- catalyst pastes
- base pastes
- measuring syringes
- desensitizing gel
- whitening gel
- very clear instructions for creating your impressions and how to use the system
- return card and postage paid envelope to return your trays to have impressions made
The company is extremely helpful and offers excellent guidance and FAQ sheets to help you through the process.
The first step of the process – take “before” photos so you will have a comparison photo at the end.
Next, you must have your whitening trays created. You create molds for your impression tray using the catalyst and base pastes. The instructions are very well written and easy to follow. The process is exactly the same process that many of us have had done in the dentist office. Fill the tray with putty ♦ Insert tray/putty onto teeth ♦ Wait 2 minutes ♦ Remove tray.
Each tray has a number that corresponds to a number on your return card so ensure there are no mix-ups when you return your molds in the postage paid envelope. Be sure to read all of the instructions carefully and to follow the time guidelines for creating your molds. Pop your molds into the postage paid padded envelope and send back to the Smile Brilliant labs for your custom molds to be created.
Once your trays are processed, you will receive clear whitening trays back in the mail in a plastic storage case. You are now all ready to start the whitening process.
If you have sensitive teeth, the kit comes with a desensitizing gel that can be used to help prevent any pain or tenderness that will come with the whitening process. Be sure to use it if you have to.
Because this was a product review, I tried to use the system nightly in order to complete my review. Using it so often did create some gum sensitivity. You can spread out your treatments to fit your own schedule.
Enter to win your own Smile Brilliant package at the end of the post.
The Whitening Process
Gently press ⅓ of a whitening gel syringe inside your custom tray. There should be approximately a bead of gel on each tooth tray impression. Once you insert your trays you may have some gel ooze out of the tops along the gum line. Try to wipe this away since I think this may be the cause of some sensitivity issues. Both top and bottom may be worn at the same time.
You can leave the trays in place from 20 minutes up to 3 hours depending on your sensitivity tolerance and your need for whitening. Once done, brush your teeth with water and rinse.
It’s actually a very simple process. It just takes time. There is a noticeable difference after 2 or 3 applications and a huge difference in the end. You can keep your custom trays and simply buy refill whitening (and desensitizing) gels going forward.
Pros of the Smile Brilliant System
- Cost – With system packages starting at $139, much less expensive than going to your dentist
- Custom tray creation which can cost several hundred dollars at your dentist
- Everything is included
- Done in the comfort of your own home
- Done on your own time schedule
- Customer Service is outstanding
- Email notification when molds received. Email notification when custom trays are shipped
- Tray creation is fairly easy with easy to use instructions
- Use whitening trays while being able to do other things in your home
Cons of the Smile Brilliant System
- Process is lengthy. Waiting for your system to arrive in the mail. Creating your molds and then waiting for custom trays to arrive back takes time.
- Once you mail your molds, you hope you did a good job. You aren’t sure until notified by lab if you will have to recreate your molds.
- Initially whitening seems uneven and streaked. This could, of course, be user error. It does even out as time goes on. Since I used my system nightly rather than spread over time(weekly) having that streaking may be bothersome to you in-between treatments until it evens out.
- Ideally, process should be completed at night since you cannot eat or drink for some time afterwards. This can be inconvenient if you don’t always have the time needed before bed.
- If you have sensitive teeth, process can be uncomfortable
Would I recommend Smile Brilliant? Absolutely. I would highly recommend the product for the results. If you have sensitive teeth or gums, be sure to wipe the excess whitening product away and be sure to use the desensitizing gel. I would recommend using the product once a week.
Smile Brilliant System GIVEAWAY
Do you want to try the Smile Brilliant teeth whitening system for yourself? I know you’ll love it! You can enter for your chance to win below. The giveaway is for a $149 Smile Brilliant credit. It is open for one (1) week and will close on June 11, 2018 – The giveaway is open to USA, UK, Australia and Canadian residents.
And . . . if you aren’t lucky enough to win your own system, you can purchase a system directly from Smile Brilliant at a 20% discount by using Coupon Code: opensuitcase20